Current state of waste management in India. Presentation from WTERT-Asia Inaugural Meeting April 2017.
by Er. K. Sreenivasa Rao
Er. K. Sreenivasa Rao
Waste to Energy Research Technology Council (WTERT-India)
- Established in 2011 under MOU with then CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), India and Earth Engineering Centre, Columbia University, New York, USA. The MOU with NEERI got over Dec 2018 and now and WTERT-India is working as Registered Trust under Charity Commissioner, Government of Maharashtra under Public Trust Act (1950) as Non Profit Organization (NGO) under the Umbrella of Global waste Council(GWC).
- Office of WTERT-India is established at Prabhadevi, Mumbai and engaged in variety of activities of characterization of waste, analysis or its values, technological solutions, conducting projects, monitoring of gases emitted at waste dumping grounds.
- WTERT provides advisory services to stakeholders, collects and dissipate information and pushes its own work.
- Executes Green Belt Development , overall plantation for site phyto-remediation, and certifies sites for waste disposal.
- Analyses compost generated by waste management activities of NGO’s for its appropriate use.
Conferences Organized and Projects completed
Year Conferences/Workshops organized
- 2012– “Waste to Energy in India” Mumbai 24-25 August, 2012.
- 2013– “Short term & long term solutions for Municipal Solid Waste Management problems in Indian Cities- Delhi”, 21 -22 February 2013.
- 2015-”Sustainable Municipal Solid Waste Management in India”, Hyderabad 29-30 January, 2015.
- 2015-“Waste-Uninterrupted Resource and Encouraging Opportunities” , ICT Mumbai , 26, 27 November 2015.
- 2016-“Sustainable Municipal Solid Waste Processing Technology for Developing Nations” held at Surat, 18- 19 February, 2016.
- 2017- “Waste to Energy Plants & Equipment Providers” a National Level Summit, Hyderabad, February 3, 2017.
- 2018– Conference on Waste Management Current Trends &Technologies 18- 20 Jan. 2018, Bombay Exhibition Centre, Goregaon, Mumbai.
- 2019- Conference and Expo at Bangalore in Association with Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore 13 -15 Feb.2019.
Comprehensive Waste Characterization Studies carried out for following Indian Cities:
- Jabalpur, (Madhya Pradesh )
- Surat (Gujarat )
- Bhubaneswar (Odisha)
- Patana (Bihar)
- Kolhapur (Maharashtra)
- Banglore (Karnataka )
- Ranchi( Jharkhand )
- Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Diva-Khardi,Thane (Maharashtra)
- 5 cluster cities (Andhra)
Other Projects :-
- Analysis of odorous compounds in and around dumping sites situated in Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR).
- Analysis of various parameters and preparation of closure plan for scientific closure of dumping site at Diva-Kharadi for Thane Municipal Corporation.
- Site analysis for rejuvenation of Jogila lake site for Thane Municipal Corporation, Maharashtra.
- One day workshops on “Awareness on Air &Water Quality for MIDC Industries and Industrial Areas” in Mumbai Metropolitan Region at various locations viz. Dombivali, Taloja, Tarapur, Ambernath, Badalapur supported by MIDC & Local Pollution Control Board
Major Project Handled
Logistics of establishment of an “Advance Research Centre” at an estimated cost of USD 4 million for Surat Municipal Corporation(India) , Dec.2015.